indulge me for a second while i milk the whole orange thing to the bone...
orange you gonna thank me for making these cupcakes
orange you gonna go to the gym after eating 5 of these cupcakes
orange you glad i didn't make spinach cupcakes
orange you gonna....
mmkay i'm done.
i've kind of been slightly obsessed with this lemon cupcake recipe ever since i first made them. but this weekend when deciding what to bake, my friend katie told us how she had recently been blessed with an insane amount of oranges {costco style}, so we decided to switch lemons for oranges and see what happened. and what happened was glorious. my soul died a little that day with my first bite... it was that good. and how couldn't it be. i love oranges infinitely more times than lemons. citrus+sweet= best of both worlds {sorry miley} be prepared to lick the batter bowl, the icing bowl, and finish off all the cupcakes in a matter of hours! plus we squeezed the oranges we zested into the icing and batter so it turned them both naturally ORANGE!
ORANGE CUPCAKES
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp grated orange zest
3 tbsp butter {only 3 tbsp. of butter!? you're basically eating fruit!}
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
squeeze half of orange into batter for extra yumness
ORANGE frosting {to die for. best icing hand down!}
2 cups confectioners' sugar
5 tbsp butter
2 tbsp orange zest
juice from orange {as much as you want}
2 tbsp whole milk
ZESTERS, mixers, egg crackers, icingers, eaters EXTRAORDINARES!

preheat oven to 325 F. Beat flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, and butter in mixer on slow speed. gradually pour in the milk and beat till just incorporated. add egg and continue beating. continue mixing for a couple minutes until batter is smooth. spoon batter into baking cups until 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
lemon frosting: beat together confectioners' sugar, butter, and orange zest on medium slow speed. slowly pour in the milk on a slow speed and gradually turn the mixer up to high speed. continue beating for 5 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. spoon frosting on cupcakes and decorate!
woops. i was so excited i dug in. but you can see all the orange goodness. huzzah!
aren't you proud of me of giving you such a healthy recipe. the teeniest amount of butter and a mountain of oranges. yes, you are welcome.








CUPCAKES!!! There is something about cupcakes that makes me smile and lust after them a bit! Your pictures look extremely appetizing! I might just have to make them.
ReplyDeletelove,
elisabeth adele
http://thejoysoflifezzz.tumblr.com/
I just found your blog and I absolutely love it! I can't wait to try the orange cupcakes by the way. They look amazing!
ReplyDeleteMmmmm these look delicious! Everytime you post something that you have baked it makes me want to go bake whatever it is right then!
ReplyDeleteOooooh!
ReplyDeleteSweet sweet!
ORANGE you toooo adorable!!!
I think so!
They look so yummmy...and so much FUN to make with girlfriends!
xxooxx
Ooooh! Gonna have to try these sometime, sounds soo yummy!
ReplyDeleteSaw your profile on another page. Glad I read your fun and well-written blog. Look forward to following you here. Cheers!
ReplyDeletehahahhh omg amazingness. i never say this because, well im lazy and i hate cleaning up after i bake BUT im going home and making these today. thank you very much for your inspiration my deary. :)
ReplyDeleteoooooohhh I'm definitely going to have to try these! Your posts always make me so happy :)
ReplyDeletemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cupcakes! might have to try that recipe sometime.
ReplyDeleteYum sounds delicious!
ReplyDeletei just found your blog via the little things we do and i'm so glad i did! i am gonna make the crap outta these cupcakes and most likely eat them in a matter of minutes!
ReplyDeleteoh i love this! cant wait to try x
ReplyDeleteMissy
For everything about fashion:
http://thefashionfusion.blogspot.com
Orange frosting? Yummy!! I'm trying to watch my diet but girl, I'm willing to stop it for a day for these little yummies. I'll take three please!!
ReplyDeleteYummy! They look so good.
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting on my last post. I decided not to email him!!! He is a waste of my time!
LOVE!
i'm thrilled over this. since fruit is involved it can't possibly count as a dessert... which means that i could eat 5 at a time and not feel guilty.
ReplyDeleteI HAVE TO MAKE THESE!!!
ReplyDeleteYUM! i think these are going to be my baking treat this weekend!! they look wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI am proud of your healthy cupcake option! :) Now what do I have to do to get you to send me some of this great stuff you are always baking?!?!
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness! i may have to try these... : )
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by! I am so happy to make it back over here just in time for cupcakes. My fav! I can't wait to try this recipie! You all look like your having a blast! Too bad I can taste them through the screen :)
ReplyDeleteOh my.....those sound fabulous and you look like you had a blast making them. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletewooooooooooooow!! those look so yummy!! :\ can we try a vegan way?!? lol it sounds and looks so good!!!
ReplyDeleteI want to amake these! NOW!
ReplyDeletecome bake for me? this weekend i tried to make muffins with cream cheese frosting.. the muffins were good, but it tasted like id dipped them philly! I think i need your skills :)
ReplyDeletexxx
If I could bake (and I can't, seeing as how my family officially kicked me out of the kitchen -- don't ask), I would soooo bake these cupcakes. Love.
ReplyDeleteI am sooooo making these. Thanks for the recipe lady!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE orange flavored desserts! It tastes so light and fresh! We actually put orange juice/zest in our chicken salad tonight and it was AWESOME! Can't wait to try these!!
ReplyDeleteMMM YUMMY! these look delish!!!! I am very glad you made them!
ReplyDeleteOh I love the pictures with you and your friends!! And, I was just thinking about how much I love oranges. What a sweet, sweet recipe!! XO
ReplyDeleteoh wow these look SO AMAZING! ahh bookmarking this recipe. definitely!
ReplyDeleteyou and your friends are pretty :). and those cupcakes look delish!
ReplyDeletewooo-weee! Now that's a cheerful color for a boring Tuesday! ;)
ReplyDeletesounds so yummy, I recently got a whole bunch of oranges I think I'll try this recipe!! i'm in such a baking mood
ReplyDeleteTHESE SOUND AMAZING. seriously.
ReplyDeletewe had the same deal with the overflow of oranges just recently (costco was also the main supplier here) and i wish i knew about these delicious cupcakes! they look so tasty and they are something i would definitely never would think to make!
ReplyDeletechelsea - you are GORGEOUS.
ReplyDeleteplus, these cupcakes look delish.
xx, J
exposedbrick462.blogspot.com
orange cupcakes?!! they sounds heavenly! go you! you look so cute in that pic too :)
ReplyDeleteOrange cupcakes? Oh my! You know just the way to a girls heart!
ReplyDeleteOh, and looks like you had a lot of fun baking. Wish we could bake together sometime! :]
it's settled. i am totally making these!! yummm! and loved loved all the orange jokes, haha!
ReplyDeleteahhh i made these yesterday-- just delicious! i used both lemon AND orange for extra citrus-y goodness. mmmm mmmm. they were a big hit. thaaaank you for putting the recipe up!!!
ReplyDeletexxx
it's been almost exactly a year and i dug up this post so that i could make these magically delicious cupcakes for my fella's mama's birthday today!! can't wait to eat them again :)
ReplyDeletehope all is well with you!
xo