Friday, June 11, 2010

i'll never eat a boring cupcake again!

when you add a few drops of blue food coloring here...
and a couple drops of pink coloring there...
you get instant food fun!
and for good measure you should always add sprinkles!
{its the closest i'll ever get to eating a rainbow! and that is awesome.}
VANILLA CUPCAKES
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp butter {only 3 tbsp. of butter!? you're basically eating fruit!}
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
couple drops of food coloring
frosting {to die for. best icing hand down!}
2 cups confectioners' sugar
5 tbsp butter
2 tbsp whole milk
couple drops of food coloring

preheat oven to 325 F. Beat flour, sugar, baking powder, and butter in mixer on slow speed. gradually pour in the milk and beat till just incorporated. add egg and continue beating. continue mixing for a couple minutes until batter is smooth. spoon batter into baking cups until 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
frosting: beat together confectioners' sugar, and butter on medium slow speed. slowly pour in the milk on a slow speed and gradually turn the mixer up to high speed. continue beating for 5 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. spoon frosting on cupcakes and decorate!
just take your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe and spruce it up a bit for extra fun. i'm thinking next time i'll do orange cupcakes with pink or yellow icing for SUMMER. or if by some chance i become overwhelmed with basketball spirit then i'll make some purple&yellow combo cupcakes.


have a BRIGHT&colorful weekend!

30 comments:

  1. I love these cupcakes! So cute and they look so delicious! Thanks for sharing. I want to eat a rainbow too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so adorable!!!! Love those colors<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! So pretty! They look amazing! I'm putting that recipe book on my birthday list!
    Damn I'm hungry now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bake the most amazing, pretty, and delicious looking goodies!! I love cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty! My mom made rainbow colored cupcakes for my sisters birthday and a rainbow colored big top cupcake it was so fun and yummy! Hope you have a great weekend Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Thera
    http://therajoyce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. so so so so so so cute! i love this. tomorrow, it's happening. thank you for the cute idea. i LOVE this idea. it's perfect. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how cute! i love it. what a good idea to dye the batter. :)
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember I went through a phase of making purple pancakes.. the thing about my purple colouring is that it just looked grey, every time. I like your colours though :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rainbows and sprinkles and cupcakes!
    Good heavens Chelsea, it's like some kind of crazy, colorful dream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. See now I must have cupcakes...who can I get to make them for me??

    ReplyDelete
  13. ive honestly never thought to do that. now i think i might add food coloring to everything i make! :)

    and you should see shutter island! it was only scary during one part, but mostly its just suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are AWESOME!!! So COLORFUL and I know they are INCREDIBLY YUM ... DOUBLE YUM! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. They make me feel happy just looking at them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yummy! I'm going to steal this idea lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cupcakes! Just goes to prove that a little color and imagination can really make you smile! Happy weekend sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look pretty tasty. The topping looks delicious! Joe & I are definatly going to have a cooking day soon and just have your blog open to make all this tasty food! <3

    Hope your okay! :) :)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  19. You must be the happiest girl on earth! I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this idea! You're so creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. the closet thing to eating a rainbow!.....yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh how I need your baking in my life <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. "you're basically eating fruit" YES, yes you are! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. mmmmmmm pink cupcakes, YUM!!!! they are absolutely beautiful! you need to teach me how to frost cupcakes, i'm a big fat FAIL when it comes to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. these are beautiful! i love vibrant color cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. the best thing you've ever said...
    '3 tbsp butter {only 3 tbsp. of butter!? you're basically eating fruit!}'

    ReplyDelete

comment. comment. BO bomment. ME MI MO momment. COMMENT.